Writings of Blessed Anne of Bartholomew

Writings of Blessed Anne of Bartholomew  
Writings of Blessed Anne of Bartholomew (mirror)
Offsite Link



"One day I spoke to my confessor of one of my soul's secrets, 
and he did not take it well ; he said to me : "That sounds to me like 
Mother Teresa; go on now, do not be like her, let those things 
alone." It seemed to me that he pronounced these words with 
but little esteem for our holy Mother. I was grieved because of 
this, and sought a solitary spot in the garden. There, deeply pained 
at the thought that the Saint was not appreciated as she deserved, 
I began to pray. Soon I entered a state of supernatural recollection, 
and in this state saw the Divine Master approaching me under the 
form He had when living in this world. He was robed in a most 
brilliant pontifical cope. When near me He raised one side of the 
cope — it was the side next to His Heart — and showed me the Saint 
resplendent in glory; He held her on His arm, as if she were no 
longer anything but a part of Himself, and said to me: "Behold 
her, I have brought her to you here ; be not at all troubled ; let them 
say what they will." After these words He disappeared. I felt 
within my soul a profound recollection and deeper fervor at the 
sight of the love God bore the Saint. 


On another occasion I begged the holy Mother to obtain for 
me from God the favor of knowing which of the virtues was most 
agreeable to Him, for I was impelled to make every effort to acquire 
it ; one day she appeared to me and said : "My child, it is humility." 

Very often the holy Mother strengthened me by a sentiment 
of love and by a heavenly odor of which I was as conscious as if 
I had been near her holy body. And though she did not show 
herself, I was aware of this perfume and the favor she did me in 
keeping near me. I will give a very striking example: Once I 
was overcome with fatigue; all the religious were ill, there was 
only one Sister and myself able with difficulty to keep on our feet 
and to wait on ourselves. I went to the tomb of the Saint and 
said to her: ''Mother, come to my aid; see me here before you, my 
body so crushed with fatigue that I cannot keep up. Give me 
strength ; I desire it only to serve all my Sisters." I felt the con- 
viction that she heard me and that she said to me : "Go, my child, 
I will do what you have asked of me." I went to the kitchen and 
scarcely had I commenced to stir the embers than I noticed the 
perfume of the Saint, as if she were there; there came forth from 
the ashes an odor similar to that exhaled by her holy body; this 
odor communicated such strength to my body that not the slighest 
trace of fatigue remained. My body had no more feeling than if 
it had been a spirit. There was not a shadow of lassitude, and 
this supernatural strength continued with me until all the reli- 
gious had recovered health. Very often the pans and everything 
I touched in the kitchen exhaled the odor of the relic of her holy 
body; it was something marvelous; one would have declared that 
she, herself, had touched these objects with her hands."